Monday, June 9, 2008

Stimulus THIS

So Chris and I logged on to our bank account to find that, low and behold, our $1200 stimulus check has been direct deposited. Now we know what we are supposed to be doing with this check. We are supposed to be buying 1/2 a big screen plasma screen TV, we are supposed to be buying 3/4 of a laptop, we are supposed to be investing it in shares of a failing stock, or we are supposed to be taking a road trip on $1200 worth of gas, perhaps to somewhere exotic like...Southern Jersey.

But you know what we did with OUR stimulus check? Click. Transfer. Into Savings. Yes, folks. The economy blows, but quite honestly I know that we are going to need that $1200 for something legitimate, like (not even) 1/2 of a monthly mortgage payment. SO, we saved it. My hope is that most Americans with too. Not because I want the economy to fail. But because I think the problem with the economy is that Americans always want what they can't afford, and they want it right now. Perhaps if we all just paid for the things we need before the things we want, we'd all be in a better place. Now I am no saving guru. I spend on stupid shit sometimes. But that isn't very often. The fact is, I know that I need a lot of things for my house. And there are a lot of things I need long before I will EVER need a flat screen TV.

On that note, just another sign of a failing economy. I saw a commerical  today for Michigan. Yes, you heard me correctly. A commercial. As in, please move your entrepreneurial company to Michigan because we have a sick unemployment rate, and sure the state is in total disarray, but wouldn't you love to live in the lovely mitten state? That made me a bit sad. To say the least. 

No comments: