Friday, June 13, 2008

That Number Does Not Compute

Today I went to get gas at the local Getty station. I love this Getty station because it is run by a little Filipino man who loves everyone and pumps your gas for you...no extra charge. The gas there is usually a few cents cheaper too, and it is absolutely no frills. Something that is particularly no frills are the pumps themselves. They are the old school pumps with the rotating numbers and no option for "swipe your card and go" service. I notice a piece of paper taped to the pump. This is what it says.

"Due to the mechanical inability of this pump to recognize prices above $4.00, The Department of Weights and Measures has authorized the use of half gallon pricing. Therefore, your total cost will be double what it states on the pump."

Let me just reiterate that. Due to the "mechanical inability" of the pump, $4.00 gas was never supposed to exist. Let alone $4.25 gas. I wonder what's going to happen to my beloved Getty when gas hits $8.00 a gallon? Go out of business or get new pumps, I suppose. It's a sad sad state of things indeed.

No comments: