There are two things I am good at. Being smart....and creating. (Look, I sucked at all things "cool" when I was a kid, so as an adult, I can brag about the fact that I am smart. And smart for no reason. Words, numbers, facts, abstractions, all just flow like water through my brain. I hardly studied for anything and got A's in everything. People in college got incredibly pissed at me for this. So it goes. It's the only positive quality I will admit to so let me have my moment of glory). Anyway, back to the creation bit. I'll create any and everything. I'll paint, draw, sew, glue, collage, string, sculpt, you name it. But most specifically it is the creation of music I adore. As for my guitar, I teach myself and have a lot more to learn. A whole lot. But man, every time I look at that thing, I just swoon.
I love the music that is in my genes. From the moment I touched an instrument (I believe there was a Casio keyboard involved) I fell in love. My ear just works that way. I hear it, I find it. But clearly this is something that just has to be in your genes. I always notice music. Wherever I am, that's what I notice first. I feel there is a "perfect song" for every moment. I spend an embarrassingly great deal of time imagining songs for whatever moments I am in. I'd love to pick songs for movie soundtracks. That would probably be my dream job. I have been musically fixated for as long as I can remember. I grew up in a family (direct and extended) where the Beatles were religion. (Just check out my cousin Peter's blog, the link to which is in my sidebar. He is the most amazing musician, all self taught, and Beatles obsessed. Anyone else notice how much I like parenthetical statements?)
I knew this guy in college. He just didn't like music. He just didn't like it!?! He didn't listen to it. Not anywhere. He never bought a tape, CD, mp3. Nothing. I remember feeling really sad for him and wondering why he didn't drink heavily to make up for the horrific hole there must be in his life. So sad.

No comments:
Post a Comment