Monday, April 21, 2008
Obama in Scranton!
Senator Obama at the Glider Diner in Scranton! I have to say, even I wouldn't eat at the Glider, but kudos to Barack for giving it a go!
I went to college at the University of Scranton in Scranton, PA. Most people know Scranton from it's fame in the show "The Office" (and let me tell you, they have it dead on, and knowing about Scranton makes that show so much funnier because they throw in tons of jokes and references you'd only get if you are familiar with Scranton). But it's also an area of political focus. Scranton used to be "The Electric City" and was a booming economy for coal. Then the coal ran out. Scranton plunged into total destitution and was known for having the highest population of people over the age of 80, second only to some town in Florida. Essentially, the jobs died out and all the young people left. The University was about the only thing keeping it going. Healthcare, unemployment, social security...Scranton was an area in total crisis. But they made changes. Granted tons of money for city was earned by citing college students for underage drinking or even just being NEAR a party my sophomore year of college. In that one year, they cracked down on the students so hard that they managed to make enough to revitalize the city. Do I think this was the best way to go about it? Um. No. Certainly not when I was in college. But the amount of dough they racked up made for some seriously nice changes. Businesses started moving back into the downtown. Suddenly there were cute restaurants, new bars, boutiques. It almost looked like...a city again! I have to admit, Scranton is now a sweet little spot and I give it a lot of credit. It's not easy being North Eastern PA (NEPA for short). It's heavy on rain, clouds, and wind, and never short on dysfunction. It has hills so huge that it made me wish they'd install conveyor belts to get me to and from class. But all in all, I freakin' loved going to Scranton. And I freakin' love the NEPA. It's cheap as hell to live there. Chris and I have considered moving there on more than one occasion, but the pitiful job market means we'll be staying in New York. Most likely for good.
Way to go, Barack! Wish I was there to see you!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment